AsiaMacau

Macau 2004

Macau Travel Blog

Ruins of St. Paul

Just an hour by ferry from Hongkong is Macau. It's worth a visit. I never really spent so much time looking around Hongkong. You know how it feels when you wake up one morning and there's an impulse to go out and you tell yourself "I'm going there" like, now? That's me. Works for me.

So, from the hotel, we went to the ferry terminal and bought tickets to Macau. Upon reaching Macau, as in most cases, you'll find a lot of agents offering places to stay. I am a traveller on a budget, and cheap (but please clean toilet and bath haha) is always appealing to me haha. A chinese agent offered this cheap hotel. Looked good on the picture. Yes, yes I know, pictures can be deceiving. So upon getting to where the hotel is, I almost didn't want to get off the cab.

a view from the top of the Ruins
The location was dark and it didn't look safe. It looked scary even from the outside. I immediately called back the agent because it was already past 6 PM and was worried that their booth would be closing soon. I looked for the person whose name appeared on the card. I almost felt like crying because she couldn't really understand and speak english that well, so I tried my best to tell her that we wanna change the hotel. "Me don't like hotel, me change hotel" and she goes "yah, yah, come back". Ok, so we ended up paying more and stayed at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. Nice.

We only stayed for a day (and a night) in Macau. With no clear itinerary, we just thought to see as much as we could. We were able to see some places like the Ruins of St. Paul, the Macau Museum, and Our Lady of Penha Church, built on Penha Hill.

sylviandavid says:
Smart to decide before getting out of the taxi... Sounds like she knew what she was selling.... yah,, yah,come back...
Posted on: Nov 29, 2008