Rhenen by Bike [114,96km]

Rhenen Travel Blog

The wetlands along the river Lek. It is rather beautiful. Glad I did not follow the signs.

I left in the morning. Not as early as planned, but when it was half past seven I assumed I could just as well wait for the supermarket to open to get me some extra water and bananas. Not only did I want to get as East as possible, I also wanted to try to follow the route along the water. With the distance I rode last week I thought I had a pretty good change to bike all the way to Arnhem and get on the train back.

Up to Krimpen a/d IJssel I had already found the road along the riverside, but from there all the signs keep directing you towards the highway. There is also a green route heading to Schoonhoven through some bushes I can hardly call a forest and keep my dignity and another green route through the farmlands. After I spend some useless kilometres wandering the Stormpolder, I finally found the right way. Once you find this road, it winds and twists with on the leftside farmland and on the right a lot of nature, with mainly wetlands, swampishness (yes I just invented that word... ;o)) and reedy lakes. (Off course this would be opposite on the way back). De direction signs keep leading you back off the dyke, but you just have to keep ignoring those. Before you know it, you’re back at the highway. Maybe that’s a shortcut to Schoonhoven, but after that it leads through IJsselstein, Nieuwegein and Houten. Then you really are taking the longer road, got some annoying traffic and is too far North when you have Arnhem as you goal, so you have to turn to the Lek eventually anyway. (If you didn’t get these directions... take a map!)

The dyke is called Lekdijk, which was a pretty good chosen name. Since it can be translated as ‘Leakdyke’. Not only did the river carry the name Lek/Leak, but also the clouds were LEAKing. At Vreeswijk it started to rain. Thick cold drops. A moment later I saw three other ladies on bikes sheltering beneath some trees. Personally I had a attitude like ‘I’m already wet and god knows how long I have to stand there waiting for the rain to stop’. At Tull en het Waal it even started to hail, even stones as big as marbles. My knees were red because of the impact. It rained until I reached Amerongen. If it hadn’t been hailing, I would have enjoyed a ride through the rain. Only I would have preferred the sunshine afterwards for the ultimate feeling of water bike-bliss. I felt like a donkey with a carrot on a string waving before its nose. A dark cloud was hanging over me, which broke off abruptly at the horizon, giving me a  lovely sight to splendid sunny weather. But how hard I kept stepping on those pedals, I never caught a ray of sunshine.

In Amerongen I decided I was close enough to call my sister. She was at home, and I had only 10km more to go. There I could get a train back or move on to Arnhem anyway. Once I got there I was more chilled then I had notice sitting on my bike. We threw everything in the wash drier, except my bike short. Shaking from cold and yawning from fatigue, I sat there being not so companionable. My sister sent me on the train, when I propose to go to Arnhem. I was a brave sis and got on the train. I should not be doing that too often, because those tickets are expensive. 21 Euro pour moi et bicyclette.

Once I got home I had some spare energy to do some groceries, take a shower and stuff some cheese in my gob before I fell in short of a coma. Meanwhile I woke up from cramps in my upper legs, OMG that hurt! But I'll try to get myself to Arnhem next time nonetheless, hopefully with less watery bless from above.

Animals:
Stork on nest with young
A golden bird
A troop of geese

Bummer:
When I got home, it turned out that the sun had been shining in Rotterdam all day. Just my kind of luck...

The wetlands along the river Lek. …
The wetlands along the river Lek.…