In which Beth is assaulted by a small freckly Thai woman

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

The rooftop bar

Well....last night I trotted off to the Night Market about a 20 minute walk away. It was a typical tourist market with the same stuff on most stalls and I wasn't in the mood (and neither do I have the space in my rucksack!) for shopping. So after getting a bit disorientated I decided to sit with my pretty Nancy Chandler map (american artist who does pretty maps of Thai Cities) and figure out where I was. Had a delicious red curry and spied a massage place across the road.

So having finished dinner, I wandered across and decided to have a half hour head/neck/shoulder massage. Now, I know Thai massage is different from the western idea of it so I was expecting a bit of stretching and pushing and pummelling but my God, this woman was something else.

Carrot carving...harder than it looks!
I swear at one point she was actually walking on me and she even massaged my bum! Which was strange. She then proceeded to knead me into absolute agony for a good twenty minutes. My shoulders even feel bruised today! Oh well, thats what you get from a cheap massage I guess. I'll be trying somewhere else next time!

Today I went to a cookery school called Siam Rice which was really lovely. It was run by a family in their house and was very well done. I made a chicken coconut soup, minced chicken salad, spring rolls, red curry and sticky coconut rice with mango. Yum yum yum. We started with a trip to the market to be told about the herbs, most of which I have never seen in my life! They have several varieties of basil including 'Holy Basil' and 'Lemon Basil'. They also use a different type of ginger and these tiny little garlic cloves. It was all really tasty and I'm so full I had to bring my red curry home in a bag!

Off to find a bookshop this evening as it turns out that I hadn't been meaning to read Spot of Bother, I've already read it! Darn it! That was annoying half-a-page into my bedtime read. So now have two books to swap for something new. Might try and get hold of a copy of the Lonely Planet Vietnam so I can consider that part of my trip a bit more carefully. I just moved into my dorm where I'll be for the next seven nights and a guy there said Laos is stunning so doesn't sound like I can strike that one off my list as I had hoped.

free08 says:
Gosh, like avapoet, I was scared that you were actually attacked by a small Thai woman. You should be a writer, keeping the reader at a suspense. lol!!!
Posted on: Feb 07, 2009
avapoet says:
I've always wanted to go to Laos. Fascinating-sounding place.

When I first saw the title of this post, I panicked that you might have been *actually* assaulted by a small freckly Thai woman. Then it turned out that you'd paid for the priviledge and All Was Well.
Posted on: Jan 29, 2009
The rooftop bar
Carrot carving...harder than it lo…
Carrot carving...harder than it l…
Coconut chicken soup