A very long train journey later...

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Sawasdee Ka!

Well, I have arrived in Chiang Mai and already love it about 100x more than Bangkok. My hostel is fasntastic, its extremely clean and painted green all over, which suits me just fine :) Staff are very friendly and I've let myself have a single room tonight so I can chill and catch up on sleep. Then into the female dorm tomorrow, so no stinky snoring men, hurrah! There was this weird grumpy turkish bloke in the Bangkok one for the last couple of nights who both smelled and snored. Ick. Wow and now they're playing Tori Amos, could this place get any better?!

So, the last couple of days in Bangkok.

Saturday: I made my way to the river using the Skytrain then hopped on the Chao Phraya Express which takes you to various piers to see Wats, Palaces etc.

at the front of my hostel
I managed to do Wat Pho which houses the amazingly enormous reclining Buddha. He's about 150m long and gold all over! Was pretty breathtaking for my first Wat. After that I got off at Khao San Road to find myself some lunch and a second hand bookshop. Had already managed to get through a book and a half so I was in serious need of more brain-fuel! Found a copy of Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon which I've planning on reading for yonks so that was handy. Khao San doesn't seem as crazy as I thought it was be, it actually had a lovely laid back atmosphere and was full of hippies. So next time I'm in Bangkok I think I'll book myself in somewhere down there. Looked better for meeting other backpackers too as the one I've just stayed in seemed to be full of families and didn't seem terribly sociable.
the roof terrace

Anyhoo, the rest of that day was spent in shopping centres. First the MBK centre to pick up a pair of binoculars to replace the ones I had left at home. Ooops! I was hoping to find myself a good bargain but it took me over an hour to find any at all and when I did they were even more expensive than Amazon! Oh well, kind of a necessity for the jungle trips and birdwatching! Finished my busy hot day with the Siam Paragon shopping centre which is like no shopping centre I've ever been to in my life. It was very swish, 100% designer shops and had an entertainment floor with IMAX cinema, bowling alley etc. So I treated myself to seeing 'Yes Man' which only cost me about 3 quid and the cinema was the comfiest I've ever been in. The seats rocked and were wide enough to sit cross legged. Had a giant red Fanta which only cost me about a pound and the most relaxing 2 hours I'd had in a couple of days! The film wasn't a patch on the book but it was entertaining enough.

view from train window

Yesterday I went back to the shopping centre with an Irish girl from my dorm called Laura and we saw 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' in the IMAX cinema before I had to go and get my overnight train. So that was nice. Sorry if this is a weird update, I don't know what they put in the coffee I had with my breakfast but I'm feeling rather dizzy!

Will just be relaxing for the rest of today and planning my week out; I want to do a cooking school for a day, a nature trek in Doi Inthanon national park and Flight of the Gibbon, which looks amazing. It's fly-wires and rope bridges through the forest canopy. Might even see a few gibbons! So ciao for now, I'll try and add some photo's tomorrow so you can see where I've been so far.

Travelbuddys says:
Love Khao San Road !!
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009
poobar says:
Poobar = Jimmy, in case you were wondering :)
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009
poobar says:
Sawasdee Khrap!

Glad you've found a nice place in Chiang Mai. Flight of the Gibbon sounds fantastic! Keep updating, your posts make me think of travelling rather than work.
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009