It ain't chilly in the Gillis

Gili Trawangan Travel Blog

For the last few days I have been on the lovely island of Gili Trawangan, the largest in a group of three islands off the north-west coast of Lombok. It's a small island, with maybe 400 indonesians, no cars and about 99% of their revenue being from tourism. There's one main strip along the east coast where all the action is (about 20 restaurants, a few bars and some dive shops) and a small village behind. I'm staying at a lovely little villa called Sederhana in the village. The power supply here is pretty interesting....there seem to be no guaranteed times for having any. Yesterday the power was out from about 12 noon until 2am. Showering by the light of one candle is a challenge....

I've done one dive but wasn't overwhelmed by the variety of marine life here. The only really exciting thing I saw was a blue-ringed stingray and there weren't even as many fish as you would expect. So I'm saving the rest of my diving allowance for the Komodo islands and possibly a trip to a wreck-dive when I get back to Bali.

Monday I'm off for a 4day/4night boat trip around the komodo islands, which lie between Lombok and Flores to the east. We'll be stopping off at various islands, snorkelling, fishing, wildlife spotting, walking and of course hunting down the dragons. They can be up to 3m long and have been known to eat people....ooh err. Really excited, I remember the Attenborough documentary from way back and they're a pretty impressive animal. The diving there is supposed to be fantastic too but I'll have to wait until I get to Flores as that's where all the dive shops are based.

The food here is cheap and tasty, still lots of western stuff about but the novelty is starting to wear off. (She says, thinking about the chicken and leek pie she quite fancies for dinner....) There's a lovely dish called Gado Gado which consists of spinach, tofu and tempeh (rice based veggie thing) in a spicy peanut sauce. Slightly blows your head off....but very tasty! Also some fantastic fresh fish, my favourite of which is called butterfish. Not a clue what its called at home but really yummy. I also had my very first lobster, which was nice but I'm not sure it really lived up to the type. Nice texture but not a whole lot of flavour. Think I prefer crab.
Time for the beach and a book, it's a hard life.... :)

bethbackpacks says:
Glad I'm not the only one then...I thought I'd just been unlucky or something. And yes, crab every time! Crab wontons....mmmm.
Posted on: May 13, 2009
bernard69 says:
I was like u a little disappointed by marine life there in 2008(I'm only in snorkelling) and I prefer crabs than flavourless lobsters:)))
Posted on: May 13, 2009