Ubud...mainly good

Ubud Travel Blog

javan kingfisher
Well, its my fifth night in Ubud and despite the lack of social life I've had a pretty good time here. I've had a couple of decent murder mysteries for company, picked up some new batik skills, indulged in some shopping and spent every evening at The Jazz Cafe, which is where I'm off in about half an hour for some rhythm and blues (not so bad when its live). This morning I donned my binoculars for a bird watching walk. Didn't see as many species as I would have liked but I did see a Javan Kingfisher, probably the most stunning bird I've seen so far, so I was happy enough.
I've been staying in my own little villa/bungalow type thing, and the guy who runs it has been fantastic. He's been my chauffeur to everywhere I've wanted to go, free of charge, has made my breakfast every morning and took me to Wayan's house today (artist I met my first morning) so I could buy a couple more of his paintings. As with Thailand, I seem to have got most of my shopping out of the way early on. I still plan to buy some weaving though, and possibly some batik. Bali is just unbelievably full of crafts, its a serious hazard when you're on a tight budget. Don't suppose the diving possibilities in the Gilli islands are going to help much with that either.....
I'm off there tomorrow for a week or so of lying in a hammock and diving. Hopefully should be a better backpacker scene there too, rather than all these snooty europeans wandering around as though they were on some sort of bohemian catwalk. Bleurgh.
Jazz time! Later folks. Oh and happy birthday to my dad, who's the dreaded big 5-0 today. Age ain't nothing but a number and all that....
bethbackpacks says:
And I send my love to Aber and its inhabitants...was talking about it last night and I'm already looking forward to a visit when I get home. Give my regards to Scholars :) x
Posted on: Apr 27, 2009
annetterogers says:
Getting more and more envious about all those crafts!!!
Posted on: Apr 27, 2009
avapoet says:
Glad to hear you're having such a great time. Aber sends it's love.
Posted on: Apr 25, 2009