Trekking and Packing

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

water buffalo!

Well, where was I? Sunday was fairly uneventful, I took a songthaew up to Wat Doi Suthep (big temple on a hill) with australians Oscar and Mia who I met at the cooking school. While up there I bought some nice paintings stupidly cheaply. And mostly of elephants. Then we came back down and had dinner in a proper restaurant, which made a change from the street food and cafes I've eaten in so far. Though it was more expensive! After that we wandered around the Sunday Walking Street market, where I bought another cotton top to keep the sun off. I've been wearing short sleeved tops most of the time so my back and shoulders don't get burnt. I also got a silver necklace at a fraction of what you would pay in the UK. So that's my main souvenir of Thailand; I don't plan to do much shopping in the rest of my time here, I won't really be in any other cities.

trekking past the rice paddies

Yesterday I did a trek which took us into the mountains. There wasn't very much walking involved and we were always ahead of the guide but we saw a nice waterfall and visited two hilltribe villages. They all make alot of money from tourism so it wasn't the most authentic experience I've had but in the Red Karen village they were weaving scarves which looked pretty impressive and for 5 baht I bought a bracelet made of seeds from a really cute little boy who must have been about four. The other village was just like a tourist market so I wasn't terribly impressed with that. In the afternoon, everyone else rode elephants while I had a little wander by myself then we all went bamboo rafting, which was lovely. And included many a water fight. Last night I just chilled out with my book and today I'm going to be packing a box with stuff and posting it home, packing my rucksack to head off to Chiang Dao and possibly finding myself a foot massage.

Red Karen village weaving
Oh and getting yet more books because I've finished the Kazuo Ishiguro ones. The Remains of The Day was strange but When We Were Orphans is really good.

Anyway, thats what I've been up to! Was a bit homesick on sunday hence the weird mood I think. Plus the people I'd met from my dorm had gone so was a little bit lonely. I don't mind being on my own most of the time but its nice to have people to talk to sometimes. An aussie couple turned up last night and there's a Japanese girl staying for a month doing a massage course but neither are particularly sociable so I might not find people to spend time with until I get to Kanchanaburi now because there are quite a few backpackers there. I wouldn't bother going really but the bridge on the river Kwai is there so that'll be my history lesson for the trip!

Chiang Mai