Socks at the ready

Sydney Travel Blog

Well, tonight is my very last night in the fantastic Sydney Central YHA. I've had a fairly restful time here, I went off and saw the Opera House and Harbour Bridge of course but not much else! I've fully equipped myself for chilly New Zealand with half a dozen pairs of socks, a second pair of jeans (which I have had to turn up two inches, by hand, sigh) and a big thick hoody. I have found Australia pretty chilly so god knows how I'm going to find New Zealand, it's warm here in comparison at a toasty 15C.

This hostel has everything; a heated pool, a sauna, well equipped kitchens, TV lounges, a cinema, tons of computers, vending machines, a supermarket, a cafe, a bar and plenty of socialising opportunities. Not that I made much of them. I've been underwhelmed with Australia I'd have to say, bits of the scenery have been stunning and I loved Fraser Island but it's just been a bit dull and waaaay too expensive compared to Asia. I'm looking forward to New Zealand now, where taking one of the bus tours should mean I'm far less bored. I'm particularly excited about the whale watching at Kaikoura, I've never seen a whale before and there's something about them which really gets me. These huge, almost prehistoric mammals making their way thousands of miles across the globe. Fingers crossed I'm not one of the unlucky 5% who doesn't see one!

photo by: Sunflower300