The Joys of Jetlag

New York Travel Blog

It's 4am, I've just had a shower and I'm fully dressed. Managed to get a few hours sleep after my mammoth 20ish hour trip from Auckland but not enough and New York is freaking me out slightly. I'm staying in Harlem which is a bit far out of the city and a slightly rough area. I chose the place because it was cheap but it possibly wasn't the greatest idea. I'm now contemplating cutting my 5 nights down to 2 or 3 and heading down to Maryland sooner for Nicola's wedding. This might be the jetlag talking though, we'll see how today goes.

The rest of time in New Zealand was great, after Kaikoura I headed back up to the north island where I spent three nights in Napier soaking up the Art Deco feel of the town.

A tame takahe
After that, I headed back to Auckland to spend another two nights with my second cousin Chris and her husband Peter. Chris took me to Tiri island off the coast of Auckland, which is a sanctuary where they've eradicated all introduced pests like rats, hedgehogs and stoats. This is in order to preserve the rare species they've introduced there, including Tuatara (a type of prehistoric lizard), kiwi and a number of other rare birds. We were really lucky and saw five Kokako, robins, takahe, pukako, saddlebacks, stitch birds, bellbirds, Tui etc etc.

I really liked New Zealand, it seemed a friendly, laid back country and the scenery was fantastic. It did feel like I spent most of the time on a bus so the only thing I would change would be to spend longer. There were places I would have liked to spend more time in; like Nelson, Oamaru, Lake Tekapo and Dunedin. There were also some other bits I didn't see at all such as the Coromandel peninsular, Milford Sound, Abel Tasman national park but to name a few.

I'm looking forward to Nicola's wedding in a few days time but at last, I do feel about ready to go home. Maybe it's because I'm exhausted and not thrilled about New York, maybe its because I'm out of money and maybe it's because I'm looking forward to seeing friends and family but I'm counting down the days until I get on that plane to Heathrow.

1920s car, Napier