The Frogs are Jolly in Kanchanaburi

Kanchanaburi Travel Blog

Sawasdee Ka folks!

A serious amount of travel later, here I am in the lovely Kanchanaburi. I got the overnight train to Ayutthaya, where I arrived at about 6am. I waited until a more decent hour and then made my way to the tourist office. They were just opening up when I arrived and the cleaning lady seemed a little disgruntled when I spent half an hour in the bathroom trying to make myself look human. (3 nights without sleep and one on a train do not a pretty Beth make) Grabbed myself a map and off I wandered. The ruined wats are everywhere you look so you can just wander between them easily. I'm not a huge temple fan though, it equated to visiting a series of old churches, but without pretty windows so it wasn't long before my tired mind was distracted by a cafe.

The Jolly Frog dock
They make amazing iced coffees here, they're not horrible and slushy like frappuccino's, which give me a headache just sucking them through a straw. It basically a shot of coffee, lots of milk, sugar and lots of ice. Yum yum yum.

I had planned to spend a night in Ayutthaya but having bored myself to death with the wats by 11am I decided to just carry on to Kanchanaburi, home to the bridge over the river Kwai and surrounded by national parks full of waterfalls. Bliss. So two local buses (on which I was the only tourist) and 4 hours later I arrived at The Jolly Frog, the most popular backpacker place in town. And I can see why! I don't know how I'm ever going to leave.... My bedroom is on a river raft, so I wake up to the river on my doorstep every morning, it costs me 3 quid a night, the restaurant makes lots of delicious cheap food, they show films in the evenings and there's lots of people here to meet.

Drinks outside Sugar's
Almost straight away, this guy from Florida invited me to his birthday party swimming in the river and I've been with him, his wife and their South African friend Jess since. Tomorrow I'm moving to an air con twin room with Jess. Its hot here!!!

Tomorrow I'm off to visit all the museums and cemetaries, then on friday I'm going to Erewan national park to swim in the waterfall pools. Which are full of big fish which nibble your toes. Mine could do with a good nibble I can tell you. All this walking in flip flops is taking its toll on my poor little soft feet. My heels are all cracked, my toes are an odd shade of grey and there's a few old unsightly blisters. I bought myself a pumice stone earlier and I intend to spend a good ten minutes using it tomorrow morning! I can't stand gross feet.

I don't think I've blogged this yet (sorry if I have, I forget what I've blogged and what I've emailed!) but after chatting to some Malaysians in Pai I've slightly changed my national park plans.

Tree snake after it's experience with the hippy
I was going to head to Khao Yai, east of Bangkok but since I'm heading south anyway, they suggested I try Krang Kaechan national park instead. Having read about it, that sounds pretty good to me! Its less trodden than Khao Yai so I'll have to go with a tour group but apparently you can organise this from a place called Phetchaburi so thats where I'm heading! Its a town so there are some cheap hotels there. I might even try to get one with an ensuite, I could murder a nice lukewarm bath. Hot not an option here. I think my blood vessels would explode. So yup, bus to there on saturday and then monday/tuesday I'm off to Koh Tao :) Have now booked my Open Water PADI course with Buddha View diving school, which numerous people have recommended to me.
Hammock bliss
Really looking forward to my first beach I must say.

Anyway, my book awaits so I'll leave you there. I'm currently reading Notes on a Small Island by Bill Bryson which makes me occasionally snort with laughter, resulting in some odd glances from the Thai staff but its so funny I don't care. I read One Red Paperclip on the train, a cool story of this american who swaps his red paperclip and then continues to swap items until he has a house. Great story, but badly written unfortunately. I skimmed a fair bit so it only took me 2 hours. Next is Brave New World by Aldous Huxley which I think might be tough going. A few hours in a hammock I think. What a pity haha. Ooooh and I almost forgot, this hippy guy who hogs the hammocks (grrrr) had a snake land on him earlier! I found it in the bushes afterwards and got a picture; it was a mildly venomous golden treesnake. I was excited anyway. Plus it justified the stupidly heavy wildlife guide I'm lugging around with me! Hurrah. Bye for now xx

sarahseaton says:
Brave New World is pretty good, though very hard going. Sounds like your having an amazing time!
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009
Drinks outside Sugars
Drinks outside Sugar's
Tree snake after its experience w…
Tree snake after it's experience …
Erewan falls