Boats, Buses and Beaches

Krabi Travel Blog

Sairee beach sunset

Well, one somewhat trying journey later I am in Krabi! Famous for beaches and popular with other tourists, not just backpackers, I can't wait to find myself a bamboo hut and spend hours with a good book. At the moment I'm in the town itself, staying at a delightfully cheap guesthouse for a quarter of the price of my room on Koh Tao. Ok, so it's little less luxurious and slightly more like a prison cell, but the mattress is comfortable and the sheets are clean so I'm happy enough. Yesterday's travels were slightly exhausting, it was the first time I've used organised (I use this term loosely....) tourist transport rather than the local buses and trains and I can't say it was the best experience.

on the dive boat
You basically buy a ticket to take you to your final destination but they don't tell you much about how you're actually going to get there. We knew there would be boats and buses involved but not that we'd have to figure out the itinerary for ourselves. So on the first boat, thinking I'm going to be there for the next six hours, I settle down, spread myself out on some seats inside under the delightfully cold aircon unit and start to doze off. Next thing I know we've stopped and half the people are getting off while the other half look as anxious and clueless as I am.

We managed to ascertain, mainly from the fact they were throwing all our bags off the boat, that we had to change boats. This confusion ensues at every stop we make, some at which we get off, some at which we stay put, a little unsure of where we're going to end up.

sairee beach,ko tao
Then off the boats and onto a bus, which may or may not go to a)the bus station b)Krabi or c)Bangkok. Luckily it took us to the bus station and we were herded into minivans to the bus station in Krabi where we had to pay more money to reach the actual town. So I didn't really sleep and spent the whole day feeling a little tense.

Was a bit sad to leave Koh Tao, it was a nice place, or what I saw of it anyway. Once I finished my diving course I did a couple of extra dives to qualify to dive to 30m rather than the basic 18m so most of my time there was spent at the dive school/on a boat/underwater. I didn't even take many photo's but I do have a highly embarassing DVD of our final day of diving so I shall show you all that as proof I'm not making it all up! On our last night, me and some others from my course went over the the nicest beach, had dinner and watched the sunset.

beach by Buddha View
It was my first beach-sunset in Thailand so I took tons of near-identical photos and just sat there in awe of its orangey-pink loveliness. Really looking forward to some more on some even more picturesque beaches here.

Anyway, so I'm with Jesse now and we're probably just going to spend the next week on various beaches in the region, including a bit of mangrove-kayaking, before making our way to Malaysia. Not quite sure how to go about this yet as the guidebook says not alot of people do it overland because of violence in the southern provinces (Buddhists+Muslims apparently not a peaceful combination) but I haven't heard or read that its a bad idea so I shall probably take the train. Hopefully a sleeper train. I can't believe my time in Thailand is nearly up, its flown by. If I wasn't looking so forward to Malaysia I'd probably be rather upset.

cavemans says:
beth, the violence in southern thailand has died down, but anyway it should not affect tourist. Anyway taking the train would be the safest and most fun. do think abt spending some time in Cherating and the Redang and Kapas islands. If u do come up to Kuala Lumpur, pls do give me a buzz. safe adventures.
Posted on: Feb 26, 2009