8 weeks to go yet so much to do!

Leicester Travel Blog

The grand palace, Bangkok

I apologise if it takes me a while to get into this blogging business, haven't really done much in the past but I'm really keen on keeping everyone posted, not least because my mum will be rather upset if I don't! Here I hope to tell all my bestest friends and family what I've been up to, where I'm off to and what little drama's I might have encountered along the way.... Fingers crossed it'll be full of thrilling visits to rainforests, diving around tropical islands, meeting fun new people and generally having a brazilliant time! So here I am, and here is a summary of what I have planned. (Look forward to referring to this when it all turns out completely differently! Plans are made to be broken I guess...)

Well, on this day in 8 weeks I shall be within hours of my departing flight.

Flower festival in Chiang Mai
I'm starting in Bangkok and am anticipating a serious culture shock! Not to mention a heat shock.... I've got a hostel booked in the Sukhumvit area which is supposedly quite pretty with plenty of history. Most people seem to be heading for the Khao San Road but I can't really see myself amongst big noisy bars and swarms of other travellers...so I'm taking the more relaxing approach to start with. 3 days later, I'm going to head up to Chiang Mai to relax and hopefully spend a week volunteering at an elephant sanctuary. Apparently there's loads of stuff to do around there, lots of national parks within reach and the weekend after I arrive there's a flower festival in the city. Fingers crossed for some good photo's of that!

So when I'm finished up north I shall head down to the island of Koh Tao, not far from the famous Koh Samui to do an Open Water PADI dive course and generally appreciate some gorgeous island scenery.

Elephants!
Stunning crystal blue waters, white sand, copious amounts of cocktails. Bliss! Probably stay on a little bit afterwards and have a little beach-hut holiday but depends when I arrive really.

Next stop is Kuala Lumpur to start my organised tour of peninsular Malaysia. It goes out to a national park, the Perhentian Islands and Melacca among other places. If you want to be nosy here's a link http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/MSA. That last until the 19th March and then I plan to spend a bit longer in Malaysia. I've booked a cool hostel in Kuala Lumpur for 5 days after the tour, its called the Red Palm in case you want to try contacting me :) I expect I'll be on one of their sofa's with a very large piece of cake.

Koh Tao
Yes, the entire time! Apparently Malaysians are good at cake....and I am good at consuming them! So match made in heaven....

After that I'm off to Singapore for a few days before flying to Australia and I haven't really planned that bit so much yet....except I want to go diving on the Great Barrier Reef, see the Whitsunday islands and go to a place called Noosa which is apparently full of hippies. Yay for hippies! So thats for about 3 weeks, Cairns-Brisbane and then I fly to Sydney for a few days. Finally, I fly to Auckland where I figure out which is the best city, find myself a job and live for 3 months, with some travelling about at the end. Then home, via New York.

Christ, that sounds like alot of places, hope I've got enough cash! The bloody exchange rate is awful at the moment.

Route of my Circle Malaysia tour
Stupid credit crunch/recession type ridiculousness! Grrrr. I could have been pretty comfortable had that not all kicked off. Boo hoo. Oh well, things are beginning to look organised. I get my final VISA next week (Thailand) and see the travel nurse next Thursday (so she can decide how many needles to stick in me....sadistic bitch). Can't decide whether to book my dive school and the elephant sanctuary now or do it when I'm out there; just don't like committing myself to certain dates really, what if I change my mind or find something cool to do or get Malaria or something?! Money down the pan....So yup, still mulling that one over!

I've got my Nationwide bank account opened so don't have to give away money to banks everytime I take some out. Got my travel insurance, a working VISA for NZ, my Malaysia trip paid for.

Diving on the great barrier reef
My godmother Wendy very kindly bought me my mosquito net, first aid kit, sleeping bag, travel towel, washing line and soap. Now just need a gazillion more bits and pieces....yay for christmas lists!! Have been looking at rucksacks and have come to the conclusion (having tried some on which were bigger than me!) that I'm opting for a smaller one, probably the Berghaus Jalan 55+15L. Even that is mahoosive! Just have to try and restrict myself with clothes I guess....

Anyhoo, I shall not bore you any longer. Will update this thing as regularly as possible once I'm out there and shall be checking my e-mail plenty too so keep in touch everyone :) Really can't believe how soon it is....eeep. Got an OU course and 3 uni applications to do before I leave! Oh well, as my mother often says 'why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?'.

rogsauce says:
Sounds like you're having a great time!! Sorry we'll miss you in April.
Posted on: Feb 22, 2009
adelehull says:
Hurry up and update us all!
Posted on: Jan 25, 2009
jimmycarter says:
Hey you- are you keeping an eye on the news?

The thai airports are free of protesters again, but it might just kick off again- make sure you have travel insurance in case you have to change your plans at the last minute! Hope it stays noon- civil-war for you!
Posted on: Dec 02, 2008