Heathrow to Istanbul and onwards along the silk road

Istanbul Travel Blog

So its been about 2 months since the last trip, work is the usual and home life is hectic, so many things to get done and so little time. I was at home reading a newspaper article when I saw an advert for exploration of the Silk road through Asia, which looked different, I mean there were some places in there that I never thought I'd want to visit, including Tehran, none the less, it was different from the usual trips we made, so thought we would give it a shot!.

We are heading off on the trip in a few weeks, just wondered if anyone had any information, pictures or advice on things to see and do?

We are travelling along the silk road starting in Istanbul (Turkey), which takes us around the city, maybe a bit of shopping and time to absorb some of the culture, I just hope the food lives up to a good standard, I think they do some sort of tripe like food, or so I was told. Our trip then runs from Istanbul to Damascus, then onto Yerevan onto Tehran, some more looking around taking in the sights, then we move on to Tashkent then onto the last step into Beijing.

I hear there are lots of different sights to take in along the silk road, I'd like to know why its called the silk road, I can imagine some of the journey is the opposite to Silk, more like rugged terrain! Some of the silk road journey will take us across remote and rugged land, I just hope they have breakdown cover!

So I think it would be ideal to get the usual jabs too, just to cover against fevers, bugs and other intresting things we might bump into along the way, I'd like some recommendations for places to visit between traveling?

Its a very long journey, I think in excess of 2-3000 miles, more then what im used too.

We are flying out from Heathrow with KLM to Istanbul, definatley not going with the in-flight meal on this one!

If anyone has any pictures, advice or anything about travelling in these places, please let me know!