Estado de Oaxaca

Oaxaca Travel Blog

view from inside the museum

Oaxaca was my favorite place in all of Mexico.  Looking back I'm not really sure why necessarily, but I had the most fun here.  For one, the hostel we stayed at was great.  The staff was helpful and friendly, and we ended up meeting a few new travel partners as well.  This town, like many others, had a central park/plaza area.  Every day we would relax around the plaza, and drink delicious coffee from one of the numerous cafes.  There were also little shops set up where you could buy little handicrafts or Maria Sabina T-shirts.  The main church in this area was massive, and the most beautiful one I saw in all of Mexico.  It was impressive from outside, but inside was even better.  The details were amazing, unfortunately the lighting wasn't so amazing so the pictures all turned out blurry.

Monte Alban
  Then afterwards we hit up a historical museum which had great artifacts from the nearby Monte Alban ruins.

A short day trip from town is essential if you're in Oaxaca to visit the ruins.  They are perched on top of a hill with a beautiful 360 degree view.  The area had been intentionally flattened and their temples built here.  This way they could see those who were approaching from every direction.  The ruins themselves are pretty big and some of the stone carvings are still in great condition.  This was another place I had never heard about before getting into Mexico, but I'm glad we went.  Then after a few more days of chilling out we decided to head to the beach.  We had been to Puerto Escondito for a couple days earlier in the trip, but wanted to go somewhere more secluded.  We pondered Zipolite, but ended up heading to Mazunte.  It was out in the middle of nowhere, and was exactly what we were looking for!

main church in town