On the road again

Dar es Salaam Travel Blog

Mt Kilimanjaro
Got up 5:15am again, had porridge with honey treacle and passionfruit for breakfast, and left camp at 6:40am. Stopped briefly in Arusha to use the ATM and for supermarket shopping, then headed on. I tried to sleep all of the way until lunchtime because although I didn't feel sick my guts were in a continual cramp which I could only relieve by stretching right out (almost impossible on the truck!). We stopped for lunch about 2:15pm at a sun-drenched place with no running water. It was the hottest it had ever been by far in the truck. We were going to stay there but everyone voted to move onto Dar es Salaam instead where we could have 2 nights at our campsite Silver Sands, right on the Indian Ocean, instead. Finally arrived at 8:15pm. I'd read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini (sp?) (Richard's book) on the way which was alright. I was on cooking duty so set to it straight away, sweating like mad. We had pasta with mostly just canned veggies - just alright. For dessert we had orange cake to celebrate Dad's 56th birthday. Headed to bed before 10pm, still very hot but asleep immediately. Oh, had our first view of Mount Kilimanjaro today!