Spitzkoppe under the stars

Spitzkoppe Travel Blog

Awake 5am, left camp just after 7am. First stop was in Outjo for 40min as Susan and co needed to do shopping. I bought a few things from a tourist shop. Dad picked a fight again. Listened to 'The Power of One' on my ipod. After a wrong turn that took us about 30min out of our way we finally made it to Spitzkoppe at about 3:30pm. We had lunch then at 4:30pm headed on a walk led by a local guy called Eddy that went for 2.5hrs and cost R30. It was well worth it. We walked along the sandy paths through the scrub until we came to the base of one of the big rock formations, which we then proceeded to climb.
Hiking in Bushman's Paradise
I found it fairly easy going and really enjoyed scrambling up and up but others found it a huge struggle, and Sue, who smokes, couldn't make it and had to stay behind. Peta, who is scared of heights, also had a tough time. At the top we had lots of fun taking photos of ourselves on top of and pretending to hold up the giant boulders. When everyone arrived Eddy took us to see the rock art that was 2000-4000 years old. Eland, giraffe, rhinos and people dressed as animals were depicted. It definitely wasn't half as good as the Aboriginal art, perhaps due to its poor preservation - it had been done on granite which is a fairly soft rock and parts had been chipped away. We also got shown remnants of stone cups and plates, and a poisonous succulent plant that had recently killed 18 men and which I touched before he told me what it was - curiosity killed the cat! Another plant we got shown was for when you were thirsty and didn't have any water - sucking the seed removes the sensation of thirst.
We got back down the rock by holding onto a chain and going down a very steep section. I really enjoyed it but my knees were certainly jarring around a fair bit. When we got back dinner was pretty much ready - mushroom soup then saffron rice with veggies. The others also had fish fingers. After tea we headed to the bar to see a performance of local singing and dancing. Boy it was good! There were 10-12 people, half male half female, and they sang about 12 songs. One of my favourites was 'Amarula', also the 'Beep Beep' song, and one about 'Mountains Are So High' or something like that. They concluded with the Namibian National Anthem for which we all had to stand with our hand over our heart. Their harmonies were gorgeous, and the way they moved so fluid and funky. It really made you want to join them.
White rhino rock art
Payment was in the form of a donation. I really enjoyed their performance, I'll take all the singing I can get! Plus they really seemed to be enjoying themselves which made a big difference too. Each one of them shook each one of our hands at the end. Afterwards we walked back to camp and collected our stuff ready to camp on top of the big rock (~10-20m high?) behind our camp. We all rugged up heaps, thinking it would be absolutely freezing. I borrowed Dad's thermals as mine appear to have gone walkabout. I walked to the top, a VERY steep walk and quite hard in thongs, then found myself a nice little dry waterhole to make a nest in. It was very comfortable. Not everyone slept up there, I think it was just Karl, Odin, Simon, Rosie, Tammy, Alex, Peta, Arja, Cat and Jo. Once we'd settled in and finished taking photos it was so so nice to lie there and look up at the stars. They were more brilliant than I think I've ever seen them before. The Saucepan, the Southern Cross and the Milky Way were clear as day. I did manage to get a photo of the Saucepan. Took me a while to fall asleep and I woke up several times during the night, once when I had rolled off the sleeping mat and was feeling quite cold. No leopards or mosquitoes though, which was lucky as I was feeling rather worried about the leopards!
Hiking in Bushmans Paradise