Okavango Delta

Okavango Delta Travel Blog

Mokoros
Left camp at about 8am in an army truck to the Okavango Delta. It was an incredibly bumpy ride and the sides were open so the people on the ends kept getting slammed in the face with branches. We also all got totally covered in fine sand. After 2hrs we finally got off the truck and started to load our stuff onto mokoros. There was another group there too so it was ultra crowded. Finally we got into a mokoro after the water had been bailed out and the bottom had been covered in reeds. We also put thermarests in the bottom to stop ourselves from getting too wet. The mokoros were sooo low in the water. Our mokoro poler was called Killer Jimmy. Even his official nametag said this! :) The sun was beating down relentlessly. While it was really nice gliding slowly through the reeds, it was also pretty uncomfortable and my exposed skin felt like it was actually cooking, despite the sunscreen! I can't imagine being burned alive.
I almost passed out I was so hot, even though it can't have been much more than 20-30min til we reached camp. When we did we started to pitch the tents immediately. Some people had 'decided' we weren't going to stick to our usual tents tonight and poor Tam and I ended up with the world's most feral tent. It was covered with the meat from squished caterpillars, plus ants, filled with sand, the top was broken and the poles were broken and there were no pegs to be found. I was majorly pissed off, especially cos Shelley and Sue kept going 'It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter' - well I'm sure it doesn't matter unless you've had a major downgrade, especially since Tam and I had been making a special effort to keep our tent nice and clean. To top it off I couldn't see tent 8 anywhere so Jacob went to the other camp to look for it and Lee's tent which she also couldn't find, only to find out that Rosie and Shelley had it - another reason why it did matter! Poor Jacob.
Anyway. We had several hours to kill so we played a lot of cards until it was time to go on our afternoon walk to the hippo pool. To be honest, I didn't enjoy it that much as I was just too boiling hot and sweaty and it was too long. A 3hr walk turned into a 4hr walk! We did see the hippos. Other than that we saw the 'teethy-brush' tree (looks like an azalea), some buffalo, wild sage, giraffe poop, and a coconut tree which Heaven demonstrated how to climb when buffalo are charging you. It was pretty boring though, and I was glad to get back to camp when did - just as it was getting dark. Susan cooked us mushroom soup plus cheesy pasta with canned veggies for tea which was fine. After tea we watched the polers sing and dance for us. They sang lots of songs including 'Dumela mzungu' (Hello white person), a song about a frog 'Tura Tura' which had an accompanying dance, and 'Beautiful Botswana' which was a lovely song with gorgeous harmonies.
Heaven demonstrating how to escape from charging buffalo
After they'd finished we sang some Aussie songs including 'We Are Australian', 'Advance Australia Fair', and 'Give Me a Home Among the Gum Trees'. We sounded AWFUL! So out of tune. Ah well. Odin sang 'Ging Gang Gooly' then Jo sang us a lot of gorgeous songs in her beautiful voice. Headed to bed after that.
Mokoros
Heaven demonstrating how to escape…
Heaven demonstrating how to escap…
Okavango Delta