More driving

Iringa Travel Blog

Woke up 4:05am this morning as I was getting bitten by mosquitoes. Wondered why Bon had left the tent door open until she returned and told me Jenni was really sick. Indeed she was, and it was agonising to watch knowing there was little we could do to help. She had been vomiting non-stop until all she could do was dry retch. It was a pitiful sight. We made our lunches, had our breakfast around her prostrate form, then departed just before 6am, not arriving at The Old Farmhouse, our campsite 50km past Iringa, until 4pm. We didn't stop for lunch but had a few toilet/snack stops along the way. We did pass through Mikumi NP but I was too busy reading to look out the window much. That and sleeping. It was just SO hot and humid for most of the trip. I read one of my new books 'There is No Me Without You' about an Ethiopian orphanage, which was interesting, sad and amazing, and another called 'Without Reservations' by Alice Steinbach which was quite good too. For dinner we went to a restaurant at the campsite and had delicious pumpkin and cardamon soup with a roll, ugali, spinach with ginger, tomato meatballs and baby potatoes. I hardly ate anything even though it was yummy, and I went to bed straight afterwards. I read a bit of my other new book '28 Stories of AIDS in Africa' then went straight to sleep.
photo by: skippyed