Meserani Snake Park

Arusha Travel Blog

Got up 5:20am and had a hot shower and washed my hair which felt great. Unpitched tents, had brekkie then headed off just before 7am. First stop was the border where we paid US$50 to get our visa and cross into Tanzania. I changed my Kenyan shillings into Tanzanian shillings at a rate of 1 to 16.50. Next stop was lunch by the roadside where we were visisted by some donkeys bathing in the dust. Finally we hit Arusha where we got out more currency and had a gelati. The water provided tasted like petrol today so I didn't drink much and consequently had quite a bad headache in the evening. We played card games most of the way including cheat, go fish, old maid and a really fun game Tammy taught us called Pimps and Bitches. After Arusha it was not far to our campsite at the Meserani Snake Park.
We arrived about 4:30pm and set up camp then went to check out the snakes. There were snakes of all shapes, colours and sizes including huge boa constrictors, mambas and other kinds. There were even two live tiny white mice in one snake's enclosure. Jenni and I felt so sad for them, and Jenni got quite upset. There were also tortoises and crocodiles from very small (~50cm) to very large (~3m). I washed all of my clothes before dinner which was fish for most people but mushrooms for me, Jenni and Sue which wasn't very nice. Helped to flap the dishes dry after tea then headed to the bar, seeing as it was Christmas Eve. We stayed there (me, Dad, Jenni, Odin, Karl, Adrian and Richard) til about 1:30am just talking and telling crap jokes. Was very tired by the end!
photo by: Mikie