Johannesburg Travel Blog

Got up about 5:45am, washed my hair, had breakfast then met Swartz outside at 6:30am. He was taking us to the airport for R200; R100 each. Made it there with plenty of time to spare, checked in (our bags are getting checked through to Hong Kong which is good), and then browsed the shops. The flight at 9:50am was uneventful and we got served a nice cheese, lettuce and caramelised onion roll and a biscuit + Ceres juice as a snack. Landed in Jo'burg in 1hr 20min and checked in with Ethiopian Airlines, who also issued our tickets for Addis Ababa to Hong Kong. Then hit the shops again. I really wanted to buy a bottle of Amarula (like Baileys) for R99 (~AUD$10!) but the guy told me I couldn't get it through customs. Dammit! Then we began the long wait. Our plane was supposed to take off at 1:50pm but that was not to be. Finally took off at 5pm, over 3hrs late. Got tea at 6pm which was pretty yummy - chicken with gravy and boiled potatoes + carrots, a bread roll with butter, cheese + 3 crackers, and a tiramisu. I tried to sleep as much as I could and was pretty successful. We finally landed at 11pm local time in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which wasn't too bad - we'd made up an hour during the flight and were only 2 hours late.