Into Malawi

Chitimba Travel Blog

They have pretty bugs in Africa
Woke up 4:15am to pack up, pack lunch and have breakfast. I didn't bother packing lunch today as I hadn't even touched it yesterday. I was feeling particularly tired today - too many early starts and not enough food for energy. I slept most of the morning. Also played many many card games - I lost about four times but didn't win once. The border crossing into Malawi was uneventful, and none of us had to purchase visas which was good. Probably the most exciting moment of the day was when Sam swerved to avoid hitting something and we started to fishtail wildly across the road. Luckily Sam is an excellent driver and he soon regained control. It was a bit scary for a moment there though! The scenery today was very beautiful and extremely lush. Finally arrived at Chitimba, our campsite on Lake Malawi, at about 4pm. It was a lovely spot, with loads of chickens running about, a few dogs and puppies, and a fat pure white cat with a pure black tail! After setting up camp we headed to the wood carving market just outside the gate where I bought a teak bracelet and a copper wiring bracelet. Most people bought at least something. Dad bought me a carved keyring that had Clare on one side and an elephant on the other. For tea we had mushroom soup with a buttered roll, saffron rice, beef stew, spiced vegetables, coleslaw, pineapple and mango. It was yum. I was on washing utensils. Stayed at the bar for ages after tea with Richard, Sue, Karl, Trina and Adrian then finally hit the wall around 10:30pm and headed to bed. Could not sleep for the life of me though as I couldn't find my ear plugs and the music from the bar was so loud.
skippyed says:
Yes I read there was quite a party atmosphere in these campsites, I would prefer to listen to the night animal noises myself!
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009