Fish River Canyon

Fish River Canyon Travel Blog

Got up at 6:30am and avoided the cooked breakfast. Left camp at 8am headed for our camp at Fish River Canyon. We briefly stopped in Bethanie to do some shopping and Tammy stubbed her poor big toe again - it was bleeding everywhere! Ouch. The drive was a fairly short one (~3hrs) and I managed to sleep some of the way - having Cat and Jo gone, sad as it is, means there's more room on the truck for everyone to stretch out. I was even able to lie down for a bit! When we arrived we set up camp, had lunch, then I did some washing. I helped Susan to peel a whole bunch of potatoes and carrots, giving myself a blister in the process, then had a long lie down and nap on my thermarest under the shade of the acacia tree. Everyone else did the same thing, or else swam in the cloudy blue swimming pool.
The blokes
At 6:10pm we drove the short distance to the Canyon to watch the sunset and have tea. When we got there most of us decided to do the 5km return walk to Hiker's Point. It didn't take long because although it was very rocky it was also very flat. Apparently it is the 2nd largest canyon in the world after the Grand Canyon in the USA. It's 160km long, up to 27km wide, and up to 550m deep. We took a few photos at Hiker's Point including a girls' photo and a guys' photos, then hiked back in time for tea (~1.5hrs total). Dinner, although now cold, was absolutely delicious - potato wedges, fried chicken, and a vegetable stew. Yum yum yum! I wished I could have eaten more but after one serve I was completely full. The sunset was alright but nothing overly spectacular and it was over very quickly. The wind was very strong so it got cold quickly when darkness fell. We returned to camp and I jumped in the shower straight away - nice and hot. Cleaned the pots, had a cold Nesquik, then headed to bed when my ipod was charged. Didn't sleep too well as my thermarest had deflated.
The gals