Christmas in Mto wa Mbu

Mto Wa Mbu Travel Blog

Got up 6am, packed up camp, had breakfast and headed to Twiga campsite in Mto wa Mbu. Pitched our tents then jumped straight in the pool which was wonderful! We had the same lunch as usual (except we had avocado instead of margarine). Afterwards we headed outside to the souvenir shops just outside the gate, then walked about 1km into the main town. I held the hand of a little girl (~4-5yo) in a green dress all the way there. She was sweating a lot and beads of perspiration coated her forehead. When we got to the main town I shared out a muesli bar with the kids that had walked with us. Most people were very friendly to us and said 'Jambo!' as we passed. A few knew a bit more English but most knew none or at least were too shy to test it out on us. In the town we went to the Masai Central Market. At the market I bought two paintings done with knives. It was such a hot day. On the way back to camp we walked past loads of kids in their best clothes (little dresses and suits). A few of them even gave us a sweet! They were heading to church. When we finally got back to camp we were so hot again so went back in the pool. I then had a nap and read some more of Richard's book 'White Tiger' by Aravind Adiga which won the Man Booker Prize this year. For tea Susan put on a fantastic spread - a traditional Kenyan Christmas feast. We had mashed potato with beans and corn, chapatti, yellow dahl/lentils, stewed beef, veggies, with orange cake for dessert. It was absolutely DELICIOUS! Especially the chapatti, lentils and special mash. After tea my duty was washing utensils, then we sat around playing cards (pimps & bitches and shithead) til about 10:30pm before hitting the sack, very tired.
skippyed says:
Ahh yes Shithead.. a well known card game on the backpacker trail!! Pimps and Bitches sounds like a fun game to know!!
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009