Cape Cross seal colony

Cape Cross Travel Blog

 › entry 42 of 58 › view all entries
Waking up in Spitzkoppe on top of the rock. Alex and Tammy

Only woke up when Jacob came up the rock and told us the restaurant was nearly closed (!). We hurriedly packed up and descended the rock, a very motley crew, especially Tam in her multi-coloured striped thermals from head to toe! Had porridge with treacle for breakfast and left Spitzkoppe at 7am. About 30min later Sue realised she'd left her camera case and sunnies behind at the bar so we returned for them, finally leaving once and for all at 7:40am on our way to Cape Cross, the massive seal colony home to 80-100,000 seals. We arrived there about 10am and had 40min to observe the seals and take pics. The sight was amazing to behold; I've definitely never seen that many seals in one place before! As most pups are born by 10th of December most of the pups were at least 6 weeks old and were SO CUTE! It was great just to watch the population.

The rock we camped out on
Some were sun-baking lazily, some were fighting, some were moving around (flopping around) on land, some were swimming, and some pups were braying for their mothers like little lost lambs (and sounded very similar!). I could have stayed there all day watching their antics and taking photos. At the end I got some gorgeous close up photos of a pup under the walkway, then Jacob was calling me back to the truck so I had to leave unfortunately. Many people had gone back to the truck earlier because of the smell but I guess I'm extremely used to very bad animal smells so I hardly even noticed!

After that we just began the drive to Swakopmund. I slept most of the way or alternatively listened to my ipod.

We arrived at about 2pm to a ghost town full of nice houses, wide streets and an abundance of pink paint. We were staying at the Municipal Campsite in A-frames - which we thought would be tents, but which turned out to be proper bungalows! Pink of course. I stayed in one with Cat, Jo, Lee, Rosie and Tammy. Downstairs was a table, 1 bedroom with 2 beds, a kitchenette with a sink, fridge, a small portable electric burner, a table, 6 chairs, and the bathroom. Upstairs, up a VERY creaky wooden staircase was 4 beds with a cupboard + 2 bedside tables. All in all, it was delightful! We were all so excited about the prospect of having a proper bed to sleep in and a place to put all our stuff. We had lunch then walked into town to book our adventure activities for the next day. I chose to do lie-down sandboarding for R250 from 9:30am-12:30pm, then a Mondesa township tour for R400 from 3-7pm.
Then went and checked my email. Went to the supermarket then headed back to have showers before checking out the beach which was pretty average. At 5:30pm we started preparing dinner which was Texan BBQ beef steaks, lamb sausages (which apparently tasted like kabana), kebabs with meat plus onion and capsicum, potato salad, garden salad and corn on the cob. It was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS, especially the steak. I went back for seconds. It's been a while since I've had a big hunk of marinated meat and I forget how much I enjoy it! After tea Rosie made us s'mores which was yummy (and which I haven't eaten since I was on top of the Pacaya Volcano in Guatemala!), then me, Tam, Karl, Odin, Dad, Peta, Arja, Lloyd, Susan, Sam and Jacob headed to the bar 'Tugboat'. I had an amarula on the rocks. I spent most of the night talking to Susan about her boyfriend and her dreams for the future. I really enjoy talking to her. Headed back to camp at 11:30pm, I was really tired but didn't sleep too well, I was a bit hot and my brain was full of thoughts so I kept tossing and turning!

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Waking up in Spitzkoppe on top of …
Waking up in Spitzkoppe on top of…
The rock we camped out on
The rock we camped out on
Yes there are a lot of seals!
Yes there are a lot of seals!
The gorgeous baby seal under the w…
The gorgeous baby seal under the …
Our awesome very pink bungalows in…
Our awesome very pink bungalows i…
Cape Cross
photo by: Biedjee