Another long day's drive

Windhoek Travel Blog

Jacob and Sammy repairing the truck
Woke up at 4:30am to the sounds of Karl and Odin packing up their stuff and the guys already working on the truck. We got told to stay in bed as the truck wasn't going to be ready anytime soon. That suited me just fine and I slept in til about 6:30am before getting up and having a nice shower. Took the tent down after that then had a nice breakfast of porridge with treacle and Vegemite on toast. Washed my clothes, painted my toe nails (!) with Lee's polish, then started to read 'Monster' by Allan Hall about Josef Fritzl, an Austrian guy who locks his daughter in a cellar for 24 years straight, raping her over and over again and fathering 6 children. Horrible stuff! Also not as interesting as it wasn't from the victim's perspective like the last book. At 11am finally the truck was ready and we could leave.
Botswana-Namibia border
Our first stop was at a petrol station where we collected a spare part we needed from an Intrepid truck going in the opposite direction. Not long afterwards we made a lightning fast border crossing into Namibia, then stopped for lunch at the Rest Camp not far from there. Despite the 5hr delay, we unanimously decided to press on to Windhoek tonight, meaning we'd arrive there about 9pm. Never mind, we had plenty of snacks, books, ipods and cards to keep us busy. I read a really good book about the end of the oil age called 'Last Light' by Alex Scarrow. We got rather lost in Windhoek and had to pull into a petrol station to wait for people from the Arebbusch camp to come and collect us. We did end up arriving about 9pm and after setting up we were all pretty stuffed so decided to cancel the dinner reservation we'd made earlier in the day for Joe's Cafe and instead ate at the restaurant on site, which was really good. I had fries with tomato sauce and an awesomely delicious chocolate milkshake which really hit the spot. Others had yummy mars bar cake or white chocolate & amarula cake. Headed straight to bed after that, at 11pm, feeling completely stuffed. Asleep immediately!
Sunset over Windhoek