#68 - up to chiang mai

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

i woke up today to some horribly sad news.  my dear friend natalie's sister, yael, passed away.  it is just so surreal and i am just so sad.  i checked my e-mail and received the shocking news and didn't really know what to do with myself.  it's very bizarre when you are by yourself and in a foreign country to receive news like that (much like i felt when i found out that alice had passed away when i was in new zealand).  i just wish i could be there for natalie right now.  nat, i love you so much and i'm thinking about you, yael, josh and your family constantly.   :(

i'm actually glad that today was a big travel day for me so i could just zone out on the 2 plane rides - one to bangkok and one to chiang mai.

i bought the book, the beach, so i could throw myself into something.

i arrived in chiang mai around 6:30 or so & i hadn't booked a hostel.  this is actually the first time i've been so unprepared...i figured i could figure it out though.

so, i sat in the airport for a little while making some calls.  julie's guest house was recommended to me by several people, so i tried there but they were full.  :(  so, i tried sarah guesthouse & they had availability.  it's nice to be in a place that has rooms for SUPER cheap.  i took a cab ride from the airport with a very nice driver named bee.  when i told him i was from california he said 2 things....1) your governer - arnold schwarzenger (how how do you spell his name?!? i  don't have time to really think about it!) and 2) barack obama.

...he has good ideas.  so, when he dropped me off at sarah guest house, i gave him one of my buttons.  :)  he was very happy.

now sarah guest house was not all that AT ALL.  i had this tiny little dingy room - but hey, it worked.

i decided to get out on the town & do something today so i headed for the night market.  on my way, i met adem - from turkey.  very nice guy & we ended up wandering around the market for the next couple hours.  i love the energy at the night market - but i do hate how the salespeople can be so pushy. if you so much as look in the direction of something they say "250 baht, madame"...."for you, 250 baht"...you wait 2 seconds and they say "okay, 200 baht for you...first customer"... it's so hard to even look at something without feeling guilty for not buying it.

i headed back to my hotel around 11pm & was so excited that i easily found my hotel.  okay, hotel is a strong word.  hostel...guest house....dingy little room!  anyway, i decided i'd try to find a new place in the morning...but my first night in chiang mai was definitely fun.  there is a good feel about this city.

Chiang Mai