#29 - the otago central rail trail
Lauder Travel Blog› entry 29 of 113 › view all entries
*****DAY FORTY-FOUR (Thursday, Jan 15th) - CLYDE -> LAUDER ON THE RAIL TRAIL*****
I was SO tired this morning - but I really wanted to bike the Otago Rail Trail....so off I went! I had them store my luggage at the Fern Lodge for a night because I would be back the next day, and I only took what I needed for that day & the next - I would be carrying it with me in paniers on the bike.
So, I drove down to Clyde and rented my bike & got myself all sorted (love that NZ word!) I originally thought I was going to bike half of the trail that day...it didn't look that hard, it was relatively flat, only with a slight grade and hey, I did the AIDS Lifecycle Ride, I could do this EASY, right?!? Well, turns out - not so much. It was HARD.
Anyway, I biked to Lauder that day - 47k. A few highlights from the day:
* My stop in Chatto Creek at the pub. Met some nice locals, met Leslie and Dorothy (who own/work at the bar), had a great toasted sammie & then Leslie gave me a beer to deliver the people I'd be staying with in Lauder at the Rail School B & B since they knew them.
* Dinner with Noleen and Marian, two lovely ladies who were staying at the same B & B.
* The KING bed I had at the B & B. I reallly almost cried when I saw what I was going to get to sleep in! :)
* The Rail School B & B in general...it was just darling & the owners were SO nice!!!
* Being on a bike was pretty cool! And I *definitely* thought of all my biking buddies along the way....Peter, Suzanne, Stef, Jeff, Lyndee, Lizzie, Kevvers, etc! :)
* Oh - and another highlight was definitely my white biking shirt I was wearing. It was so funny, just a few days ago I was thinking...hey, it would be cool if I had a white shirt (I have so many black & grey things)...and it would be cool if it was made out of cool maxy type material...and then VOILA, at the volunteer meeting for the wanaka challenge...guess what they gave us for volunteering?!!? SO cool.
*****DAY FORTY-FIVE (Friday, Jan 16th) - 2nd DAY ON THE TRAIL!*****
So one thing I didn't really plan for was the whole biking clothing part of this. I was very lucky that I mentioned to Noleen and Marian at dinner that I didn't have the right shorts for biking because they happened to have an EXTRA pair that they said I could borrow!!!! Hilarious! All I had to do was return them to their friend's B & B that was between Arrowtown & Queenstown - and since I was going to be driving that way in a few days it would totally work! I LOVE it! SO, now I was really set with the biking shirt (which thank god they let me do laundry at the B & B b/c I was so stinky from the day before)
I ended up biking 76k today! I continued further along the trail from Lauder so I could go through the tunnels and over the viaducts.
I biked the trail all the back to Alexandra (yay! that's Lyndee & Scott's new baby's name! I love it!) and then took a trail that went along the river back to Clyde.
So, then I drove all the way back to Wanaka.
Chris & Heidi had just arrived in Wanaka & were having dinner at Jamie & Anna-Kate's house, so I showered, laid down for about 20 mintues & then went over to meet them! It was fun to finally meet them since we've been e-mailing for months now! It was a mellow night because they had the race the next day....but that TOTALLY worked for me because I was so ready to go home and happily PASS OUT!!!! :)