#13 - hiking the tongariro alpine crossing!

Tongariro Travel Blog

At the start of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing!

*****DAY TWENTY (Monday, December 22nd) - CONQUERING THE CROSSING!*****

Belinda, Maria and I conquered the Tongario Alpine Crossing!  It was SUCH a gorgeous day & we had such a great time!  The hike was 18k and we started at 8:30am & were on the bus at 3:30pm.  We definitely took our time on our breaks too (my favorite part of any athletic event that I do!)

The scenery was stunning & so diverse.  There were times when we were walking arcoss desert-like landscape, times when we were "skiing" down mountains of dirt,  times when we had unbelievable views of emerald green lakes, and times when we were walking through the lush bush.

It was an exhausting day & I definitely did not stretch enough!  I felt it in my calves for the next two days (It was like when I would do the Lyon Street stairs doing bootcamp & couldn't walk for the next couple days!)

ANYWAY, I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad we did this!  Belinda, Maria and I had a great time!

Oh and I learned some things on our hike....I may spell this wrong, but here you go:  Dat es mooi!  (that is beautiful in Dutch) and Das es wondershun! (that is beautiful in German).  Oh and "Est is here fantastich" (it is fantastic here in Dutch....apparently it's something funny from t.v. & everytime I said it Belinda would crack up.  Belinda, if you are reading this - I'm sorry if I slaughtered the spelling!  Please help!)

At the start of the Tongariro Alpi…
At the start of the Tongariro Alp…
At the summit - woo hoo!
At the summit - woo hoo!
The Emerald Lakes.
The Emerald Lakes.
Belinda, Maria, & Me!
Belinda, Maria, & Me!
Looking back towards Lake Taupo!
Looking back towards Lake Taupo!
Tongariro