#100 - one day in delhi

New Delhi Travel Blog

if you haven't read my previous entry about my cab ride from mcleod ganj to delhi, i highly suggest you go back an entry and at least read my entry for may 5th.  one of my craziest travel experiences by far!!!!

anyway, so after i arrived in dehli at 3am, mark and i stayed up chatting about buddhism, hinduism, and my time at tushita.  i was surprisingly awake after that crazy 12 hour cab ride!

so, for my last day in india we definitely took our time to get moving...which was TOTALLY perfect actually.  it was super hot out and i probably wouldn't have had a ton of energy for much anyway.  we got yummy milkshakes and then headed out to the red fort.  we ended up taking a bike rickshaw to get there.  OMG.  talk about being a part of it all.

there we were in the middle of traffic with buses, trucks, cars, other rickshaws, cows, people, etc.  it was NUTS!  but such an indian experience.  :)

then, we got a GREAT tour of the red fort.  what an interesting place.  it was basically the residence for the emperors - mughal rulers (is that right?)  anyway, we got an awesome tour guide who did such a great job of explaining it and describing what it used to look like.  what a gorgeous place...and it just must have been stunning when it had all the water and fountains and mirrors, etc.  this is where the largest diamond in the world used to reside before it went to the tower of london (can't remember when).

after our tour, we got a great last indian dinner.

it was like a buffet kind of - but at your table - they just kept bringing and bringing and bringing food.  it was yummy and the perfect end to my indian vacation.

it was then off to the airport!  the traffic was nuts and it took MUCH longer to get there than we originally thought it would (which tends to be a theme when traveling here), but i got there on time, got all checked in and made it to my flight on time.

i just can't believe i was in india!!!  i will have to go back.  i really loved my experience, but there is SO SO SO much more to see there.  when i go back, i will definitely go back during a more temperate time of year.

another HUGE thanks to mark for his hospitality.  i was so lucky to experience india with him and it was so wonderful to reconnect after all these years!!!!  MWWWWAAAAHHH!!!!
finally got moving
red fort
drove around delhi in bike rickshaw - oy

New Delhi