Melancholy and freeziness

Zurich Travel Blog

Yummy! Sprüngli made a fortune on me over the three days^^
I was woken up by a building site or so at 8 am, which was definitely too early! Being hungry as a hunter I decided have breakfast somewhere else as they offered only croissants and other kinds of sweet stuff - however, I ended up stodging myself with cakes and Luxemburgerli anyway.

Today I planned to do a bit of sightseeing. My train back home was to leave at 6 pm so where was mass of time left. First I went to the Bahnhofstraße as I wanted to see the Christmas illumination and Türler's clock. Regrettably, it was too bright already so that it was turned off. It must be amazing to see all these enourmous tube illuminating this kilometre-long street. Well, I went on to the Türler shop and on the way I used every occasion to get into a warm place, because it was terribly cold and windy that day. So I ended up hangig around in shops, malls and cafés half the day to warm up my stiff hands a bit.
Damn!

The next point on my agenda was the ETH. The view from there over Zurich was said to be just wonderful. So I climbed up all the stairs and narrow paths till I finally reached the terrace in front of the ETH, which was almost deserted. I wanted to get inside to the 3rd floor and therefore walked around the building looking for a door. Finally I found one on the other side with a small note on it "Closed until 4th of January". Well...what do the Swiss say in such a case? I don't know, that's why I'll stick to what I know: DAMN! It was horribly cold and windy up there, I was tired from climbing all the stairs and all this for (almost) nothing. Having no better idea I took the next tram back to the Bellevue - I also needed to go the toilet more than urgently! At Bellevue I jumped out of the directly into Café Odeon, where I later sat maybe for an hour with a peppermint infusion, reading the brochures I got about Türler's clock, watching the people and thinking about the last days.

Later I had a walk at Lake Zurich and did some further sightseeing the day still wasn't over, but what happened after that I'll prefer to keep for myself ;-) However, sitting in the train to Karlsruhe I looked out of the window and with a smile I realized three things:

1. I won't forget these days for long
2. I'm in love with Switzerland
3. I'll come back!!!
Yummy! Sprüngli made a fortune on…
Yummy! Sprüngli made a fortune o…
View over Lake Zurich
The ETH. Alas, it was closed
The ETH. Alas, it was closed
Zurich Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A classic at the Bellevue
Café Odeon has been opened at the beginning of last century so that today it's one of the classics like the Kronenhalle, which is also located at the… read entire review
Zurich Sights & Attractions review
An amazing piece of clock maker arts
I went to see the Türler's clock after heaving read a short note about it in a Zurich travel guide. There, it didn't seem to be that spectacular, tho… read entire review
75 km (47 miles) traveled