And the Road Trip Begins

Sallisaw Travel Blog

Sunrise as the road trip begins.

Driving from Tulsa, Oklahoma, to Winder, Georgia, takes about 16 hours or so, including stops for gas, food, and bathrooms.  We usually take this trip every year to visit family.  The drive isn't too bad.  As long as you have more than one person in the car, you won't need to get a hotel room.  You can easily switch drivers and sleep.  As a matter of fact, I've actually driven the entire way in one shot.  It was exhausting, but I did it fine.  I wouldn't recommend it for everyone though.

We always leave before dawn, and usually get there around 11p.m. or so.  The shortest route there is supposedly through Mississippi and Alabama, but after we drove through there, I can tell you that it's not the route I prefer.  This is due to the fact that Alabama doesn't have the best highway system.  The speeds are low and you have to drive through small highways just to get to the interstate.  This is why we drive through Tennessee.  It takes about 30-40 minutes longer.  Tennessee is a better drive, with the exception of Nashville.

Sallisaw