Blizzard Troubles

Denver Travel Blog

Stuck at Denver Airport

During this trip to California, we were supposed to fly through Denver there and back.  However, the day before we were scheduled to leave, Denver Airport was completely shut down due to a blizzard.  Our flights were cancelled.  We woke up at 4 a.m. the next day to get to the airport to try and change our flight.  The next option for us (since we were flying from Oklahoma City) was to fly through Dallas/Fort Worth.  However, we were told that we would have to fly standby or wait 3 days to book a flight.  My dad lives there, so we took a chance and flew there, not knowing what would happen.  As soon as we got to DFW, we went up to the gate for the next Los Angeles bound flight.  The attendant of course said that we could put our names on the standby list and wait all day for a flight, or he could book us on the 10:30 p.m. flight.  It was only about 2 p.m. at the time, but we got booked on the 10 'o clock flight anyway.  It was guaranteed.  I called my dad and we hung out at his house for 8 hours.

On the way home from California, Denver was back open.  There was still a lot of snow, but no problems.

photo by: crystalware