Second Home

Honolulu Travel Blog

Great beach

I don't know how many times I've been to Hawaii...not really something I kept track of.  My family lives there and my dad has always worked for airlines, therefore we flew for free, stayed for free, ate for free, etc.  Went we went in 1996, it was a spur of the moment kind of trip.  My dad is a spur of the moment kind of guy.  He pretty much just showed up at my house and said we were going to Hawaii.  Nothing I would ever complain about.  So I packed my bags and we went.  Since my dad is in the airline industry, we did get to fly for free, however, it was usually on standby, which is awful.  We started off in Dallas, got a flight to Chicago, spent the night, flew out to Los Angeles, spent the night, then finally got to Honolulu, via first class.  If you're going to be on a long flight, first class is definately the way to go.

While there, we stayed at my grandparent's place for a couple weeks, then camped on the beach at Bellows Air Force Station for 3 weeks.  I got stung by 5 Portuguese-man-of-wars that month.  Painful!  And I had an allergic reaction to one of them.  After that, my dad, the spur of the moment guy, gets a job, a car, an apartment, and just moves to Hawaii.  Just like that.  I ended up spending the whole summer there.  My dad stayed for about a year, then moved back to Texas.

Quality time with dad...haha