The Big Birthday Bonanza..... Clue Number One

Taupo Travel Blog

We hadn't really even gotten over the jet lag yet, well.....if im honest, Alex was hardcore - I however, was not.  I had aclimatised to the southern hemisphere in Australia but even so, I found myself very awake at ridiculous o'clock during those first few days.  Probably just the excitement; we had began to settle ourselves into Thornton Bay, but with my birthday only 3 days away, we decided to embark upon our first NZ road trip.  We had healthy bank accounts to abuse (paaah...that didnt last long!) and our excitement was just too much to control.

Before we knew it we had spontaneously jumped into 'elise' and were heading south, with our wet washing sprawed across the back seats of the car.  Alex had a rough idea of where we were going, but I was apparently not allowed to know..... ??  This intrigued AND scared me, for Alex's navagation skills are pretty rare and I wondered what on earth she had up her sleeve that I didnt know about.

An hour (or half a packet of cigarettes, 2 bottles of diet coke and a pack of wine gums) into the journey her excitement got the better of her, and from nowhere she presented me with a brown envelope. 'Clue Number One' it read. Inside was a paragraph of text:

"This Lake was the result of the most violent volcanic eruption the world has seen in the past 5000 years - the ash affected the sunsets as far away as Europe and China"

It had to be Taupo......

SamsTravels says:
awesome pics matey!!! x
Posted on: Jan 24, 2011
Taupo Hotels & Accommodations review
Can't go wrong with a spa actually in your room...regardless of price! At the Clearwater, we had a patio area directly on the Lake Front - with a vie… read entire review
Taupo