Leavin' on a jet plane....

London Travel Blog

The story starts at Heathrow airport, iconically a bustling fithly place, full of crazy-ass security personnell and thousands of travellers and holiday-makers, most of which seem fantasically pleased to get in your way and slow up the process of making your way through the airport terminals.  Though on this particular thursday in August I may as well have been the only person there, wondering through the crowds like a fish through water.  Everything seemed lucidly unreal.  I had left my two best friends and my Dad behind the gates to customs five minutes earlier, and the memory of their sad, sullen faces and heart-felt waves were all I was able to focus on.  I knew it was the last time I would see them for a long, long time;  An unknown amount of time. A year or more may past before I would reunite with these people whom had been my entire life and being for so many years.  The immense emotion temporarily shut down my focus on the job at hand, and 20 or so minutes past before I suddenly remembered the words my Dad had uttered to me a thousand times; 'Walk like you know where your going, Act as though you have done it all before'.  I knew I had to rapidly get over my sadness and begin my pretence as a confident young traveller, in order to keep myself safe, and also to enjoy this moment, the moment I had been looking forward to for so long, instead of letting it be tainted by my heart-breaking.

I remember the sadness slowly leaving me, and the grin creeping onto my face as I boarded my flight and found my way to my seat, intensified further by the cabin crew announcing the iminent departure towards my first main destination - Brisbane.  First I had to endure a flight to Bangkok, and a further stretch to Taipei in Taiwan, from where I would head due south towards the mightly continent of Australia.

I was on my way : )

jethanad says:
you write so well, a book one cannot put down
Posted on: Sep 09, 2015
katy_custard says:
Yup - my dad gave me the wanderlust - its an inherited disease! Thank you for your comments :)
Posted on: Jan 17, 2011