Xela

Quetzaltenango Travel Blog

Alright- time for a better message with better spelling and maybe punctuation. I got picked up by one of the owners of the B and B in guatemala city which i was very thankful for!  i took the bus to xela which was the first class direct one which was great. I got here yesterday afternoon and they were waiting for me at my school. I got the tour- the owner Flory gave me a cell phone to use right away when i mentioned buying one and is letting me use it for the whole trip- i´m just buying cards for minutes which is really cheap. wes and i talked twice yesterday for quite a while and the minutes havent run out yet but i haven´t figured out how to tell how many i have left. the school is really small- around 12-14 students and really friendly. Every night there seems to be social activities. Last night even before my first class there was soccer, a concert from a guy from saskatoon of all places and then out for drinks after. it´s a fun group but most of them are leaving pretty soon. The owner of the school is involved with the clinic i was hoping to volunteer with and is already arranging me to meet up with people who work there. The only bad part is my super crappy spanish! i need to get much better before i do anything like that. The family i´m staying with is really nice. No little kids. All her kids are grown and she has all kinds of students guatemlan and foriegn that stay with her. I think her oldest daughter lives there- i met her anyway- but there are so many people coming and going that i haven´t figured it all out yet. The long classes are fairly intense. At the end of the day today my brain was full and i was done. I´m hopeful that i won´t go back dumber than i came although i don´t think i´ll ever be rolling my r´s!!
Quetzaltenango