The Eateries

Old Colorado City Travel Blog

Pizzeria Rustica

Pizzeria Rustica is relatively new to the OCC scene but it hit the ground running.  Dave, the owner, has a sense for business and food and balances the two beautifully.  I typically enjoy the wood-oven pizza with a Peroni but John gets the Amarcords.  But I think if I had to pinpoint what I crave when I go there is their balsamic fig glaze on their spumoni.  I've never had anything like it and now I'm a committed customer.

In the summer time, Bon Ton's outdoor patio is bustling with people.  This 'greasy spoon' of a restaurant has a mean two-egg breakfast complete with the hashbrowns, bacon and toast.  John is a big fan of their coffee even though it's just standard brew.  I agree that it never tastes burnt or old which has happened in many a mom&pop shop.

Pizzaria Rustica
  The service is prompt and on the ready with a refill or six.

Continuing down the Avenue you'll run into La Baguette, a chain of French sandwich shops.  Their french-onion soup is always piping hot and not too sweet with a baguette slice toasted on top.  Get the soup and a ham & swiss sandwich and you'll be set for the afternoon.  I actually prefer their coffee to many others because it's a stronger brew...okay so maybe I like to chew my coffee ;)

Finally, at the very end (or the very beginning) is Front Range BBQ.  When you're west of the Mississippi the barbeque tends to be on the smokey side, I've noticed which isn't a bad thing...just different.  At Front Range I like to get the pulled pork because it's the juiciest and you pick your poison as far as sauces are concerned.  I recommend the Sweet 'n' Spicy personally, but do what you want.

Bon Tons Cafe