Bars in the OCC

Old Colorado City Travel Blog

Thunder&Buttons Bar & Grill

Thunder & Buttons has some uppity bar tenders but the atmosphere is docile enough.  They have Blue Moon on tap along with the usual suspects and serve a mean calamari with garlic aioli.  I think I might crave it fortnightly.

Meadow Muffins is perfect for a post game beer night.  Smelling oddly similar to a movie theater (due in part to the free popcorn near the entrance) this is a weekly hotspot for us in the summer.  The Muffin used to be Old Colorado City's opera house and is atop a network of underground corridors employed during the Prohibition.  Gentlemen would go downstairs at Intermission only to come back near the end of a string of arias ready for an encore.  During the 30s, alcohol was illegal in city limits so the sales were made on the south side of Colorado Avenue.  Pretty sneaky, right?  Rumor has it that there is a ghost that hangs out in the store room of Meadow Muffins and I'm sure if you had a talk with the manager on duty you might be able to check it out for yourself.

There aren't too many bars in the OCC but they make up for it with festivals like Territory Days (a.k.a. Tits and Tattoos-please excuse my vulgarity, but I think you'd agree if you spent a day at this street fair)  It really does make for a good time though.  I mean what's not to love about walking up the street while double fisting a turkey leg and corn on the cob while pilfering through a tent, TENT, of Mexican wrestling masks???  I, for one, will not point a finger at this good natured fun.  While you're munching on your drippy treats you can have your spine analyzed by a chiropractor and then realign it with the mechanical bull ride.  One word: amazing!

Old Colorado City