First Day in Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

'Subavoom' Airport

After two very long flights from NCL - Dubai and then Dubai Bangkok we landed in 'Subavoom' (as the thai's say) airport.  met by hefty visa queues a mile long with many confused and bemused looking tourists and many many police.

As soon as you arrive in this country you sense safety from the police and all around. After clearing customs who were quite nice in fact (hear many stories they were bad and nasty to some tourists we proceeded through and I had my fingers crossed the luggage would turn up in full. I had heard countless stories of bags going missing when passing through Dubai so was wary we may have an issue, especially for my girlfriend more than myself really.

Thank god our two cases appeared from the mist on the luggage belt and all was well.

Pat Pong Markets
We headed for our private pick up which did cost a tad more than a taxi but after two long flights a few extra pounds was well worth the meet and greet and welcome face.

We headed through the masses to the limo and headed on into the Bangkok skyline. The transfer from the airport can take anything from 40 mins to 2 hours depending on when you land and what time you hit into Bangkok.

Luckily the driver said we had come at 'good time' to get through and really we were through in no time at all and landed at the JW Marriot for some 5 star luxury for the next 4 days.

Upon arrival the hotel is amazing. Luckily my girlfriend won some vouchers at work and we put these towards staying in an execuritve room high up in the Marriot hotel with access to executive lounge and free drinks etc etc.

Local Stalls selling almost anything
Great choice.

After a few hours sleep the excitment of being in the city was too much to keep us in ned and despite the jetlag we rolled out of bed, got dressed up and went for food.

Being our first night we decided to try the steak house in the marriot (New York Style) The food was stunning and out of this world but this came at a price. For two courses and a few cocktails it came to around £100 but was well worth a celebratory meal in our new city home.

Full up of steak and cocktails we headed out and grabbed a tuk tuk to the nearby Pat Pong market to experience the lights, smells and sounds of this wounderful place. This place is packed with people and thai's offering 'ping pong show' which is basically a total con to get you into bars full of girls dancing on the bar. I politely declined a million times and wandered slowly round the mass markets and thousands of stands there.

Taking in the night atmosphere on our first night was such an experience and one ill never forget, walking past the meat and pancake stalls packed with locals waiting patiently for their food and all this for peanute really.

Savouring the delights of pat pong we took a tuk tuk again to the other nearby market at Lumpini which seemed quiter but there was still a mass of people and more items to buy than ive ever seen in my life. Wandering around again here for a few hours really showed how these people live and spend their lives in the magical city.

We left the area enchanted and connected to the thai markets we had only met a few hours ago. Not wanting to leave them we left late and headed back to the hotel for some rest as busy days of sightseeing and travelling lay ahead.

Subavoom Airport
'Subavoom' Airport
Pat Pong Markets
Local Stalls selling almost anythi…
Local Stalls selling almost anyth…
Bangkok