Vending Machine Fast Food

Yokosuka Travel Blog

from the bridge above Blue Street

Ok, so it's no secret (as Mac_Gyver can attest), I LOVE the vending machines here in Japan. I don't know why, but I do. They're everywhere, you can even buy saki and beer, hot or cold drinks, snacks... I'm a little thirsty? Bam! No needing to wait until I get home or pass a 7Eleven. *sigh* what convinience.

But today, I got a new experience... vending machine fast food! Basically, they're these little restaurants where you walk in, stick your money into a machine, press the button of the food you want and out spits a little ticket. You take the ticket to the counter, take a seat, and in a couple of minutes you get your food! I accidentally ordered "extra rice" but the rice came free with the meal (with free refills!), and the nice lady behind the counter realized I was just a stupid gai-jin and gave me back my 90yen after I said "sumimasen, no, no, no, it's ok, no worries.

.."

I don't remember the name of the place we ate at, it's somewhere on "Blue Street," with several others of its kind. We were originally going to eat at Pepper Lunch next to the Mister Donut, as it's highly recomended by almost everyone, but their machine only takes 1000yen bills and we only have 5000yens.

And the best parts of this whole deal? A lot of these places are open 24 hours (very important for a night-shifter like myself), are dirt cheap, and the food is SUPER YUMMY! I think for about 600yen I ate enough to keep my fat butt stuffed for most of the day. It was a "meal set" of some yummy deep fried patty of "mystery meat", a big bubbling bowl of curry udon with "mystery meat" (chicken? pork? what could it be???) meatballs and cabbage, and rice. I do love a great big bowl of curry udon... And do I care about the "mystery meat"? Oh please! I once was a very careful vegetarian, but I left thing back there with a normal life before nursing school.

Yokosuk-chuo train station