Mallorca, Day 4

Palma de Mallorca Travel Blog

 › entry 4 of 17 › view all entries

I had originally scheduled to do the City sightseeing tour in the morning and the Caves of Drach in the afternoon, but they changed the Caves to the morning and they didn’t offer the sightseeing tour in the afternoon so I chose the Caves of Drach tour.  We caught a bus and drove through the town which was named Palma.  This was the main city, and we were on the island of Mallorca, hence the name.  The ship was docked on the west side of the island, and the caves were on the east side so we rode the bus for about an hour and 15 minutes to the caves, and on the way we learned about their main industry which is growing almonds, they sell the almonds and then they use the shells to produce energy that the use for their vehicles and homes.  They also have a large pearl industry on that island and they produce pearls and sell them to celebrities and tourists, we stopped at the pearl store on the way back to the ship.  They also have lots of windmills throughout the island that they use to pull water up from the subterranean level of the island, which is where they get most of their water. 

                When we got to the Caves, we walked down through the caves.  There were lots of steps with paths in between where we could stop and look at all the stalactites and stalagmites.  There were places where you could see the water at the bottom of the caves.  They had placed lights throughout the caves so we could see, but we weren’t supposed to take pictures inside the caves because they said that it would damage the colors of the caves.  When we got to the bottom of the cave, there was a little amphitheater where we sat for a while.  There was a big lake at the bottom and three boats with a small band floated by and played about 4 classical songs.  The acoustics were very good in the cave.  Afterwards we were given the choice to walk back up or ride in a boat.  I wasn’t sure where the boat went, and I saw a lot of people walking in a direction we hadn’t gone yet, so I walked out.  We went back up a whole bunch of steps, and when we got to the top we were right back where we started.  I bought some more postcards, and a polo shirt.  The ride back to the ship was beautiful, we stopped at the pearl factory and they dropped us off back at the ship around 2 pm. 

                I took a nap and dinner was nice again.  After dinner, they showed the new Indiana Jones movie in the big lounge, so I went and saw that, and got to bed around 1 am again.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!