Whale Watching in Kaikoura

Kaikoura Travel Blog

A sperm whale's fluke as it dives
From Wellington we took the Interislander ferry across to the south island and continued down the east coast to Kaikoura.  A quaint town, Kaikoura offered gorgeous views of mountains and the Pacific Ocean.

Still on the giant marine life theme, Rod and I decided to go whale watching.  Or rather, I really, really wanted to go whale watching and I made Rod come with me.

Our little trip turned out to be pretty amazing.  Not only did we get close encounters with two sperm whales, we saw plenty of albatross' and petrels, and a colony of fur seals basking in the sun and swimming in the waters.

Watching the whales was a treat.  The boat wasn't very full so we managed to get excellent, non-crowded views from the top deck.  Both encounters lasted several minutes as we were able to watch the whales hanging out at the surface before diving, and then flashing their flukes (tails) before disappearing into the deep water.  It's not very much to see when you think about it.   But I get pretty excited when I think about how close I've managed to get to a creature as enormous as a sperm whale.
A sperm whales fluke as it dives
A sperm whale's fluke as it dives