West Coast Glaciers

Franz Josef Travel Blog

Franz Josef Glacier
We visited the Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers before heading further down the coast.  Quite impressive large masses of ice and snow.

Ice and snow.  I'm Canadian.  There isn't much else for me to say about that.

Let's see, how can I be judgmental...  I thought the Fox Glacier was nicer than the Franz Josef Glacier.  It was whiter.  Sort of.  It was kind of white but also with a green tint, I guess from all the surrounding trees.  For those of you not exactly sure what constitutes a glacier, my understanding is that a glacier is a giant pile of ice and snow sliding down a valley - or possibly retreating up it.  Sort of like a frozen river up in a mountain range.  The Franz Josef Glacier had lots of soil all over it just making look like a dirty glacier.

It was a shame we didn't have the time or the money to actually book a trip on to the glacier.  I've heard that ice climbing is really fantastic.  The photos posted around Frans Josef advertising tours sure made it look amazing.  All we did was walk up through the valley to get closer the bases of them.  We weren't even able to get that close because last month there was a terrible accident involving a couple of tourists and falling ice.  Well, so, maybe it was good that we didn't get too close.
Franz Josef