Spit to Manly Walk

Sydney Travel Blog

Eastern Water Dragon
Seeing that it's spring, and the height of excellent hiking temperatures, we decided to walk the 9km trail between the Spit Bridge to Manly Beach.  A well marked, easy to follow path, it's considered one of the best walks to do in the Sydney area.

We started at the Spit Bridge and followed the trail along the water until we headed uphill through a forested area.  Pretty soon we came across an Eastern Water Dragon basking on a tree stump in the sun.  I tried to get close to take a photo but I startled it by stepping on some dry leaves and it scampered away.

The trail continued along the coast across a couple of beaches and lovely parks in Balgowlah Heights.  The area was so peaceful and charming, and yet so close to the city.
Aboriginal carving of a fish in the stone.
  I can see why this area would be so popular with families.  We found a shady spot under a tree at the park grounds and enjoyed our sandwich lunches a bit early on our walk.

After finding the trail again, we heading through the Grotto Point Reserve where we spotted more Eastern Water Dragons and this time I managed a decent snap.  We also came across some Aboriginal carvings in some rocks.  They were really worn due to being exposed to the elements, but it was easy to see the outlines of some fish and a kangaroo.  My first ancient Aboriginal art work sighting in the outdoors.   And again, so close to the city!

The path went right up to the top of the headland where we had some stunning views of the harbour and the many yachts out for the afternoon.
View of the harbour.
  I must start making friends with rich yacht owners!  Talk about a great way to spend a weekend. :)

Onward we continued until we spotted the Manly Wharf across the waters.  The views here were also stunning.  We headed down to the water's edge and stopped for a relaxing break on the rocks.  There was a sailing race happening in front of us and I also decided that I want to make friends with owners of a sailboat.  Sailing would be a cool skill to learn.  If only I could afford the boat!

Four hours after started, we finally wandered on to the Corso (main promenade) of Manly Beach.  Parched and tired from the long walk, we finished the afternoon with some drinks and views of the beach.  I'm starting to really like this lifestyle Sydneysiders enjoy.
Eastern Water Dragon
Aboriginal carving of a fish in th…
Aboriginal carving of a fish in t…
photo by: Sunflower300