Old Man Pub

Byron Bay Travel Blog

Byron Bay
We arrived in Byron Bay at the end of Schoolies Week, that time of year when school's out and all the kiddies descend to the beaches for sun, surf, booze and sex.  Bryon Bay was no exception with its gorgeous beaches, several cheap backpackers, and a plethora of watering holes.

Not particularly interested in the drunken ramblings of shrieking 17 year old girls, we decided to stay at a hotel over the local old man pub - you know, the darkly lit, no-nonsense, pub that's so obviously meant to entertain anyone who remembers the seventies.  It was excellent.  The cougars and old men dancing to the guy playing the guitar in one corner did a superb job scaring away the kiddies.

Seeing that the parties were the main draw to Byron Bay, we decided only to stay for one night.  We did make our visit worthwhile though.  One look at that beach and we had to spend an afternoon lying in the sand and swimming in the warm bay waters.  We drove a little further along the shore out of town to get away from the crowds and had a great time building my very first drip sand castle.

Having been born and raised in Canada, I haven't spent a great deal of time at the beach so drip sand castles were a new concept to me.  Sand castles yes, but drip sand castle building was a technique I had never tried before.  So forgive my silly indulgences.
photo by: SFGiantsGirlie