Not working my lil' buns off

Sydney Travel Blog

Some time after coming back from New Zealand, I figured it was about time to start looking for work.  I'd burnt through a good chunk of my savings and we didn't have plans to travel in the near future.  The whole plan was for me to build myself I life in Oz, right?

Well the plan didn't include any mention of the word recession!

It hasn't been the easiest.  I expected as much.  I don't know anyone in the commercial photography industry here in Sydney, and, as it is in the rest of the world, it's a need-to-know-someone kind of business.  I knew it would be a tough ball to get rolling.  I started the usual way, making lists of names and contact info and I just started sending emails and making cold calls.  This is the sort of industry that usually doesn't advertise the need for employers, like in the classifieds or on a job search website.  You have to approach it from the other end: as in you contact people telling them why you're awesome and then ask for work.  Then you set up little meet ups (interview would be too formal a word) to discuss your qualifications, intentions, history, etc. and just get a feel for each other.  Then, if you're lucky, you get added to the roster and maybe you'll start getting freelance work.

Problem is, there isn't much work out there at the moment.  I've had some very positive meet ups except the photographer will then say he'd like to hire me... when there is a job available!  No work!

So now I'm on week kabillion pounding pavement.  It sucks.  I need a vacation :)

But to be honest, I'm not in real trouble or anything.  I've still got savings, and even if I run out of that I still have emergency savings.  I'll be fine.  And I've been able to work a day or two here and there.  It's just uber slow and I'm getting antsy!  Need to start saving for that next trip!  Well, maybe after we buy a couch.  Still lacking furniture on the home front :(
Sydney