Moving Day!

North Sydney Travel Blog

cleaning up the new loft
Finally!  A place to call home.  No more moving from bed to bed.  No more share kitchens and share bathrooms.  No more worrying about securing our valuables.

Don't get me wrong; That sort of lifestyle is perfectly fine as a backpacker, it's actually the fun part.  But we were trying to settle into finding work and starting a life here in Sydney.  It was well past the time to settle into a home.

We had spent the last couple of days sorting out finances, signing papers, and cleaning out the new place.  And boy was there a crap load to be cleaned!  We couldn't tell how filthy this place was at the viewing.  On the surface, the loft was in good condition.
the captured huntsman spider
  Even the bathroom looked like it had gotten cleaned after the previous tenant had moved out.   We unfortunately discovered that the cleaning wasn't very thorough.

It took us two days of scrubbing to get the place feeling like it belonged to us.  I'm not a particularly fussy person when it comes to cleanliness.  I can be down right lazy.  But I live in my mess and my mess alone.  Like hell was I going to be living in someone else's dirt!

But none of this was a surprise to us.  Everyone wants to give their new rental a good scrubbing before moving in and we had planned on this.  What we didn't plan on was our little guest.

Actually, not so little.  It was the biggest, hairiest, scariest looking spider I had ever seen!  It was the largest huntsman spider either one of us had ever encountered and it was living on the wall above our wardrobe.
the captured huntsman spider covered in white bug killing spray
  In the bedroom.  Ewww!

For those of you who don't know me well, I have an irrational fear of spiders.  The crawling, the eight legs, the hairiness, the web spinning.... it's all just too much for me!  There was no way I could be in the same place with a spider like THAT.

Rod heroically took a new can of bug spray and went to take care of the bugger.  Holy crap do those suckers move fast!  And all those hairy legs running along the wall freaked me out.  Then it jumped on to the carpet and Rod had to face off with the huntsman.

It took him half a can of bug killer sprayed directly at the spider before it finally slowed down enough for Rod to capture it under a plastic container.  HALF A CAN BEFORE IT SLOWED DOWN.  Mighty little buggers aren't they?

Then of course, once it was safely trapped in the container, I had to take photos of it on my camera phone to show my girlfriend.  I wanted to share my freak out with someone just as freaked out by spiders as me.
Connie says:
I know that they're harmless, but it doesn't stop me from acting like a baby! We tried to capture it unharmed at first but we had no luck with that :(
Posted on: Mar 07, 2009
hannah-lou says:
Theyre harmless and good for keepin away the mosies.. just catch them and chuck 'em over the neighbours fence in future ;) Its the Aussie way!
Posted on: Mar 04, 2009
Boston_Babe says:
Don't worry, I share your same fear!...I can barely look at your photos of the spider through my fingers covering my eyes ;)
Posted on: Mar 04, 2009
the captured huntsman spider
the captured huntsman spider cover…
the captured huntsman spider cove…
North Sydney