Hiking the Coast Track - Day 2

Otford Travel Blog

Morning at our camp site
Sleep was greatly welcomed, but a bit in and out.  The night was cold and I had a tendency to wake if my sleeping bag slid off.  I managed to clammer out of the tent for sunrise, but since the sun was hidden behind the headland, I decided it was no longer worth forgoing sleep.

By the time we ate breakfast and packed up, it was roughly 10am.  We set off inland only to realize that we accidentally wandered on to the service trail and we had to double back.  We only lost about a half hour though so it was no worries.  We hiked up and down the next two headlands before making a long decent down to Gaerie beach.  This place was more populated than the first half of the track, mainly due to the road and parking lot next to Gaerie beach.
View from our camp site
  Surfers and fishing enthusiasts enjoying the gorgeous Sunday morning weather dotted the water and beach.  We took a long rest in the shade indulging in the ice cream we bought from the snack shop.  Day 2 was turning out to be much hotter with the lack of wind and we welcomed the cold treat.  So much for roughing it!  Maybe this is why I don't lose weight while doing these kinds of physical activities :)

Since it was low tide we decided to continue on the track that followed the base of the cliff instead of climbing up and over the headlands.  The high ground was just more grassy hills and we thought the change of scenery would be nice.  It was rocky footing, and I had to hustle to keep up with my friends, but it was a great change from the day before.
View from our camp site

After stopping for lunch at the last beach, we started the long march up over the last big hill.  The trail took us away from the coast and into the Palm Jungle full of palms and other trees making for a more shaded and cooler afternoon.  Well, not really cooler since I broke quite the sweat dragging my tired legs up that last ascent.  My backpack straps were starting to really dig into my shoulders and my lower back was getting tired.  Every corner we took we said "look, almost at the top!", only to find yet another set of steps around the bend.  It was the ascent that wouldn't end.

Eventually we did make it to the finish line and we even got to the train station about 5 minutes just before the train arrived.  Good thing too cuz the town of Otford turned out not to be much of a town at all.
Gaerie Beach
  We figured that if we missed the 5pm train back to the city, we'd just head to a pub, eat some grub, and while away the two hours til the next train drinking beer.  When we realized that no pub was in sight, we hustled down the steep hill to the station.  There was no way we wanted to sit at some quiet train station in the middle of no where for 2 hours with nothing but stale cookie to eat.

Two days and 27 kilometers later we totaled two burns, a twisted ankle, and a bump on the back of my head.  In all, it was a superb weekend.
Me with my backpack
Me with my backpack
Walking along the coast
Last views before entering Palm Ju…
Last views before entering Palm J…
Otford