Driving Stick in the Wrong Lane

Christchurch Travel Blog

The day finally arrived.  I had to learn how to drive stick.

And when I say had to, I really mean it.  Have you heard of The Best Job in the World contest?  Basically, Queensland Tourism in Australia decided to create this contest for international publicity giving one lucky person an incredible job exploring and reporting on the Great Barrier Reef.  The job comes with a killer salary and a gorgeous flat on a paradise island.  In order to be considered you need to submit a 60 second spot of yourself talking about your awesomeness.

My video idea required me to drive a car.  Since I don't own a car, I thought it rather convenient that I was about to embark on a road trip.  But timing was always off and finally, it was the last day of our trip and I needed to film the rest of my spot.

So I had to learn how to drive stick.  On the spot.  And then make a video of myself doing this while looking calm, relaxed, energetic, and showcasing my awesomeness.

Can I just say, it was not fun stopping and starting on hills.  Or should I say, stalling on hills.  Or having Rod yelling “relax! give me energy!” while filming me grip the steering wheels as I muttered under my breath, “drive on the left hand side.  THE LEFT.”

Officially, I did succeed in learning how to drive stick and I finished shooting my video.  I even managed to drive in reverse at one point.  I drove a whole 300 km give or take.  So not bad if I do say so myself.  I hope the judges recognize my awesomeness.
photo by: Fulla