A Bondi Christmas

Bondi Beach Travel Blog

Party goers at Bondi Beach on Christmas Day
For Christmas we thought it would be fun to celebrate the Aussie way: by going to the beach.  In our case the nearest place was Bondi Beach.  So we packed ourselves some sandwiches and made our way out the coast.

Having been to Bondi several weeks earlier, we knew where the beach was.  It was somewhere under the hoards of drunk twenty-somethings who had also descended unto Bondi in droves.  Bondi beach had become a sea of red Santa hats and empty discarded beer bottles.  Strolling down the path came a group of proud Irish mates escorting their shopping cart full of beer.  On the grassy slope was a troupe of girls decked out in Christmas themed angels outfits complete with feather wings and red and white striped stockings.
Rod and I at Bondi on Christmas Day
  Overhead soar several soccer balls kept airborne by several indistinct teams of men diving through the crowds yelling warnings for when the balls threatened to land on unsuspecting party-goers.  It was quite the site to see.

Everyone seemed to having a ball and who could blame them.  The weather was perfect: just enough sun to get a nice tan, just enough breeze to keep cool.  And the ocean water was so refreshing I'm sure it could have revived the dead.  Instead of participating in the drunken escapades, we decided to lounge on the sand near the water where other lazy beachcombers and families wiled away that Christmas afternoon.

So really, my Christmas this year was fairly uneventful, as was my last Christmas the one before that.
Bondi Beach
  I never really saw this holiday as a party day.  New Years is for parties.  Christmas is for... well, having a holiday, a break.

That and food.  Christmas breakfast was a whole other site to behold.  In the build up days before Christmas morning, we had come to refer to our Christmas breakfast as the Breakfast-A-Thon.  And it sure was.  Rod and I each piled a mound of toast and cheese, hashbrowns, kangaroo sausages (a first - not a huge fan to be honest), bacon, fried onions and tomatoes and spinach, baked beans and eggs high on our plates.  Washed down with breakfast juice (this concoction of orange, apple, pinapple and other other kinds of juices for some reason given the name 'breakfast juice' here in Oz), we were barely able to move after Breakfast-A-Thon.  Really, I was impressed we even managed to get to Bondi after that.

Merry Christmas all
Party goers at Bondi Beach on Chri…
Party goers at Bondi Beach on Chr…
photo by: jasminta